Hey Guys! I’m here today with a review of Chasing the Dollar by Ellie Ashe. Narrated by Teri Schnaubelt. It is the first in the Miranda Vaughn Mysteries. What’s special about this review is that it’s an audio book!
I would rate this book a 4.5/5 stars and 8/10 stars on my own scale.
What I enjoyed about this novel:
- The fast pace of the story. It really brought me into the story right away and I was intrigued to know more. The fact that it starts en medias res is pretty freakin cool and it makes you all excited to figure out who could have framed her.
- The reader for this book was soothing and did girl character voices well.
- The characterization of Miranda and Jake were great. I thought they flowed well together and even though this is not a romance novel they seemed to have great chemistry.
What I did not like so much:
- I need more backstory on Miranda. I assume this will happen as the series continues and while we did get some info like her aunt owns a bakery, her mom and dad dumped her as a child, she has a best friend, and worked as a paralegal for a little bit. That information seemed to almost be thrown at us without a lot of detail.
- It was a little weird to read all the counts of fraud individually. I think real court doesn’t do that, but for story sake I get why it was done.
- The FBI not actually investigating got me mad, until the end when it was explained why. But still I feel like there would have been better oversight on the FBIs end since it’s a government agency…oh wait lol (kidding)
- How did her friend just magically book a plane in such short notice? I forget what she does, but it just seems impossible!
- The voice actress while great with the women had the same exact voice for all the men. If two men were in the same scene forget about trying to figure out who is saying what.
These two are spoilers, so don’t read if you don’t want to know!
- I’m 99% certain Jake should have died at the end. It was said he was bleeding profusely from the shoulder wound. That he was white and pale. And time was running out. How did Miranda get him on an hour long boat ride and then a 2 hour flight to Florida alive? Even if there was a paramedic, even if she kept pressure on the wound…Also how how how did they get on a plane? Was it a jet? Commercial airlines don’t just let you waltz on board bleeding!
- If the FBI agent was working with Dylan and the consulate guy the whole time then how did the government get their money? It seems silly that he would actually provide Jake with the correct bank account information if he wants the money for himself.
Overall loved the story, loved the voice acting, and am excited to continue on with the story. Just because I find some things wrong does not mean it’s not a great book. So always bear in mind the great things I say as well!
If you’d like to check this out on Audible for free trial click on the link below for easy access. It’s $17.95, 1 credit with Audible account or $14.95 at a discount. If you’re more a fan of reading on your kindle it’s $4.99.
Leave a Reply