Author: Lindsey R. Loucks
Narrator: Kamala Alcantara
Length: 9 hours 58 minutes
Series: Haunted Stars, Book 1
Publisher: Evershade Publishing
Released: Nov. 20, 2018
Genre: Paranormal Romance; Science Fiction
Nineteen-year-old Absidy Jones is a ghost magnet, a sensitive person spirits flock to when they can’t cross over. After her brutal past escaping the hordes of ghosts vying for her attention, she spends her reclusive existence melting down iron into bite-sized pieces. Whether alloy or wrought, ancient paper clips or nails, consuming iron is the only thing that keeps the ghosts away.
But when Absidy’s sister goes missing in deep space, a dangerous place brimming with rogue planets, ship-eating nebulas, and vicious aliens, Absidy vows to find her. She leaves her safe haven and boards the first ship she can that’s on a direct route to deep space – a ship that turns out to be haunted.
To keep the malicious ghosts from killing her, the alluring bad boy pilot gifts her a small bundle of all the iron on the ship. But their growing relationship is tested with the crew’s prying eyes and hidden secrets. While the ship sails into deep space, it’s not just her sister’s life that Absidy fears for. It’s her own as well. Especially since her stash of iron has shrunk to zero.
Lindsey R. Loucks is a USA Today bestselling author of paranormal romance, science fiction, and contemporary romance. When she’s not discussing books with anyone who will listen, she’s dreaming up her own stories. Eventually her brain gives out, and she’ll play hide and seek with her cat, put herself in a chocolate-induced coma, or watch scary movies alone in the dark to reenergize.
Kamala Alcantara is a Voice Actress & Audiobook Narrator capable of performing a wide range of voices & accents.
The premise for this story is pretty interesting. I liked that our main character had to go undercover to find her older sister. She has a lot of adventure stowing away on a ship and dressing as a boy to hide her identity. I wish that Loucks had put more description into the world and I’m still concerned over the character eating metal….that cannot be good for her whatsoever. I’m also not sure that it’s technicalkh called pika. Usually when someone sucks on metal it’s because they’re anemic. I know that doesn’t have much to do with the story but little things like that do bug me. I think overall the story is a 4/5 stars. It’s interesting and has a lot of action but I would like a bit more description!
The narration had good pacing and emotion evoked. But I felt like it was a little too airy sometimes. I wanted the voices to feel more grounded and rough. I like that the narrator gave everyone a distinct voice though! I give it a 4/5 stars as well.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Lindsey R. Loucks. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
By Author Lindsey R. Loucks
- Jennifer Lawrence – Absidy Jones
- Whether you love Jen or hate her, she’s proven she can be the tough girl with a don’t-give-a-f*ck attitude and a large dose of vulnerability. That’s my main character, Absidy, in a nutshell. Let’s just add some chains to Jen’s hair and dress her up in a spiked corset, and she’ll be repelling ghosts in no time.
- Charlie Hunnam – Mason (Mase) Ryan
- *swoon* Absidy’s love interest is a bad-boy pilot who is thoroughly lickable. Enter Charlie. Enough said. ☺
- Idris Elba – Captain Glenn
- Whenever Idris opens his mouth, I listen. He has that quiet command suitable to head a haunted spaceship and could silence an unruly crew member with one (sexy) look.
- Ian McShane – Randolph
- Randolph, head chef, is a little bit hairy and a little bit drunk, both things Ian McShane can portray very, very well!
- Theo James – Doctor Daryl
- Theo is good-looking, intense, and seems like he’s a bit of a loner, all qualities he shares with Doctor Daryl.
- Mackenzie Crook – Nesbit
- He’s a genius engineer who just might be insane, and Mackenzie’s exceptional, unique acting ability would be perfect for Nesbit!
- Kelly Marie Tran – Moon Dragon
- Sexy, confident, and funny, Moon has drawn Absidy out of her shell in their shared dorm at college. Moon is Absidy’s only friend, a responsibility Moon takes very seriously. Kelly Marie Tran has that same lovable, sultry allure as Moon.
Prize: 1-Month Audiobooks.com Membership
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Jazzy Book Reviews
Turning Another Page
What Emma Read Next
Notes from ‘Round the Bend
Dab of Darkness Audiobook Reviews
The Book Addict’s Reviews
Lilly’s Book World
Smada’s Book Smack
➜Sign up as a host here